Saturday, February 11, 2012

MD11D rebuild (progress report) ....

Well, we are moving forward.  I built my valve spring compression tool (it worked great) and I was able to remove the springs and the valves easily.



Next, I got the caustic soda (sodium hydroxide - AKA Draino in powder form, 1 pound per can) mixed it up (1:10 to water and some detergent) and cleaned the heads.

Nice and clean and ready for inspection.  But - oh boy, I found some serious damages to the outlet side (exhaust side) of the valve seats; they are severely pitted.  No wonder we had starting problems, the compression could not come up under these conditions.



This appears to be past "regrinding the seats by hand" and I will contact a machine shop to help me here.

In the meantime, weather is supposed to improve next week, so I might be able to get back to the cylinders and liners and get them home.

No comments: